Monday, January 5, 2009

Year in Review {April}

I am thoroughly enjoying my walk through the posts of last year. April so far has been inspiring and refreshing. Like this one that reminded me again of just how far the Lord has brought me. And, this one that reminds me of how some things just never change, for instance, Mallory and Hailey still have an aversion to clothing and shoes, the conversations between the hubs and our son Tyler are still precious comedy hours, and Tyler still loves to provide his mini science lessons, only now, he's 13 and right about everything! This one where I provided the images from the first wedding I shot. And without reading the rest, I know this one titled Passion is my favorite from the month of April. The Holy Ghost had a hold of me that morning! I bookmarked it so I can go back and review it from time to time. Lots of good nuggets in there.

The Year in Review series and the fresh start of a new year has me zoning in on what I want to accomplish this year. To start, the hubs and I are working through The Love Dare a 40-day couples devotional and I decided to have a second go at The Purpose Driven Life as well, another 40-day devotional. A lot of my goals haven't changed much, go deeper in Christ, grow up spiritually, love my husband, minister to and teach my children, set a good example, and be a the kind of person who spreads Gods love.

I highlighted a few passages from our first day of Love Dare that stuck with me or hit home. It says God uses marriage to help us eliminate loneliness, multiply our effectiveness, establish families, raise children, enjoy life, and bless us with relational intimacy. But beyond this, marriage also shows us our need to grow and deal with our own issues and self-centeredness through the help of a lifelong partner. I noticed more in 2008 than ever before my need to grow and deal with my own issues of self-centeredness. I just didn't know that was supposed to happen! I've talked a lot lately about behavior and walking in love and this line summarizes it perfectly, anger almost never makes things better. And one more thing from today's lesson, Patience helps you give your spouse permission to be human. It understands that everyone fails. When a mistake is made, it chooses to give them more time than they deserve to correct it. Wow!

And finally, a poem...

You are who you are for a reason.
You're part of an intricate plan.
You're a precious and perfect unique design,
Called God's special woman or man.

You look like you look for a reason.
Our God made no mistake.
He knit you together within the womb,
You're just what he wanted to make.

The parents you had were the ones he chose,
And no matter how you may feel,
They were custom designed with God's plan in mind,
And they bear the Master's seal.

No, that trauma you faced was not easy.
And God wept that it hurt you so;
But it was allowed to shape your heart
So that into his likeness you'd grow.

You are who you are for a reason,
You've been formed by the Master's rod.
You are who you are, beloved,
Because there is a God!

Russell Kelfer

1 drops of sunshine:

Tabbie:) said...

I really love that poem!
I think it is incredible that you and your hubby are doing the Love Dare!!

Be Blessed!!