Monday, March 16, 2009

Small Things Part II

There are tons more small things like the way Mallory squished herself onto the dining room chair with Tyler to eat her ice cream and he didn't mind. The way I caught Mallory in my rear view mirror checking out the scenery out the window and fiddling with her hat. I love watching each of them, when they don't they're being watched. The way Hailey goes from child to child each morning confirming they are still her "best friend." The way Tyler rides his bike up on the days Karli stays after school for book club so Faith doesn't have to walk home alone. They way Faith helped me make dinner, had no idea what she was doing, and it still tasted good. The noodles were totally stuck to the bottom of the pan though. And, the way she asked if there was anything she could do to help clean up, even though she helped me make it.

One thing I often don't appreciate is how ridiculously long it can take Karli to get something done. Tuesday after book club we had dinner and between the hours of 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. she had to get her room cleaned up, put her clean clothes away, and make sure she got done any homework she had. Her room wasn't really messy, her bed needed to be straightened a bit and she had a few items of dirty clothing on the floor, no biggie. I know how ridiculous it is for a child to straighten her bed before she sleeps in it but whatever, leave me alone. She didn't have any pressing homework, just working on a few things that are due later in the week, I love that about her, but it still took her all three hours to do it. I'm a zip, zip, boom, boom kinda person that doesn't mess around so I can't relate to this poky mentality of hers but I'm really starting to appreciate our differences and encourage her to do it her own way. This makes it very hard for me to not lose my cool when it's five minutes before we need to leave for school and she's still in her p.j.'s and she's been up for an hour and a half. But, I love her and everything doesn't have to be done the way I would do it. Seriously though, she does keep a hairbrush in her backpack because she almost always has to brush it on her way to school. Sheesh!

A bit more on Tyler tomorrow!

5 drops of sunshine:

Tabbie:) said...

aawww
ok so the things you are noticing are going to be so incredible to go back a read later on down the road.
i love the things you are noticing.

i need a pair of eyes like that.

to slow life and just notice again.

you are an inspiration.

you just keep growing and growing and growing!!!

Sweet Peripety said...

haha! i loved reading this post! my dd is like your DD who is pokey. actually, both have their moments! i don't know why it takes these kids so long to do simple things? i guess they are just kids! it is soooo grand- those simple things. i am trying to concentrate on those things every day too. blogging about them is the perfect way to acknowledge them in life! have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Sarah is my pokey one. I wake them up at 7:00 and I have to finally rip her out of bed at 7:30. Then she'll get in the shower, get dressed, pack her bag and go off to the bus with wet hair. Charlie is up at 7 and done in 15 minutes, shower or not. Danielle is the in betweener. She will get up at 7:20 but be done in 20 minutes. Mike is up at 7 and out the door at 7:25. Don't know how he does it.

I haven't noticed much love between my children in quite a while. Makes me sad. They seem to hate each other so much. I try to tell them that when friends are gone, we are all each other has, especially when we move and they should appreciate and just love each other. Doesn't matter. I would love to send them to some kind of boot camp to make them bond! LOL

Joy Junktion said...

I love these stories and little things. I know when my children were small I had to learn to 'pick my battles' because my oldest son and I butted heads all the time because of our personality differences.
For us making beds meant removing all top sheets and only giving him a comforter to fold over. That way I knew the bed was neat and he didn't have to listen to me gripe!!

Blessings, Cindy

Unknown said...

I love these posts :-) Such beautiful writing and a great way to remember the things you otherwise wouldn't!