Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bring the Rain Part III

I left off yesterday in an spot where I feel like, according my flesh anyway, I have a right to my feelings and a right to decide to no longer subject myself to continual hurt. But, there is always this part of me that asks what Jesus would do. I know certainly he wouldn't fold his arms and go stomping off like a two-year old. I know for certain he wouldn't retaliate, seek revenge, or point blame. But, what would he do? I know for certain he would forgive. But after forgiveness, does he continue to befriend one that he knows will betray him again in the end? In at least one instance, the answer is yes. So is that what what I do? I'm certain I dropped subtle hints regarding my lack of happiness over the situation which means a conversation will have to be had. How do I communicate my feelings without causing offense? Should I have to? The first part is easy, forgive. Okay done, check that one off the list. But, how to proceed then. Is there a way to combine all of God's truths and sort things in a loving way without offending? I would like to have one of those to go then please. Anyway, moving on...


Okay, now I'm just going to list a few things that give me hope and make me feel better.


James 1:12 God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

And imagine my astonishment when I read Hebrews 1: 13 after learning last week that the very thing that Satan tries to do in our lives is bring about crap in our lives that will make us blame and accuse God. It says And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, "God is tempting me." God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else.


I am being tempted in several areas at this time. I'm not being tempted by God but God is allowing me, like Job, to be tested. For so many reasons. To reveal my weaknesses, where I need this presence and divine intervention and so much more.


The rest of my reading in Hebrews is rounded out with a command to be a quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger. It continues by advising that we not only read the word and listen to God but that we do it. It isn't enough to read the command "slow to anger." I must read it, get it, understand it, and do it. So here is where the message on Sunday comes in. I love how the Lord just weaves it all together for me. I'm confronted with temptation, how do I overcome it? Like David who took out Goliath by compiling smooth stones and smacking him dead in the forehead with it, I need to create my own pile of stones. Scripture. The scripture I need depends on the temptation. The biggest thing I think God is trying to do in me recently is enhance my patience, learn to control my moods, learn to patiently think things through, pray, process them, and not just jump quickly to anger and react. I need to grab one or two scriptures that will help me overcome this particular temptation of mine and start speaking them aloud, testing the word. I will have to do this with many kinds of temptation while gathering many different kinds of stone and having to test each stone. So when a major battle comes up again, I will have a full satchel of good proven stones in my artillery to combat any situation. Only God can take three completely disjointed circumstances, messages, and lessons and combine them together with one simple direction to answer all three. Find the scripture you need, meditate on it, and start to speak it aloud. That one little direction will give me all I need, if I do it, to keep my anger in check, grow more patient, forgive others, and prepare me for future temptation and trials.


Back to the situation with Todd for a second. We've come to realize that something regarding our future is brewing. Doors are about to open. Opportunities are waiting. More importantly, what ever it is, God is at work. His hand is over us, over our future, and there is a path ahead that the Lord would like us to pursue. I thought it was one thing but I'm truly getting a sensing that I was totally wrong and it is something all together completely different and I'm completely clueless. But, I do know that when strife starts to stir in my marriage it is Satan's first line of defense. It's his game plan to get our eyes and ears off of what God has coming for us and distract us into something different. In circumstances passed, we'd fall for it, make a wrong move, and figure it out later, after it was too late. This time, we're on to you buster! This foundation isn't shaking and there isn't a move we're making until we are sure it is exactly what God has in mind. So bring on the strife, the rain, and the calamity because what I know is my character and my endurance will be strengthened. My faith will grow. I will obey anyway and in return my family will be blessed. It takes rain to make the grass green, so bring on the rain!

I have some final words on the situation with my friend and how I feel led to proceed. I'll share my direction from the Lord tomorrow and how I plan to try and resolve things with this person as well.

2 drops of sunshine:

Tabbie:) said...

Beatuiful understanding.
Simple Direction.
I needed that today.
A good konck on the head to straighten me out.
Thank you.

God is Good all the time...

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Obviously I don't know the details of the situation where you were hurt - but I have had a similar experience. In my situation I felt that I was absolutely supposed to forgive, but for my priorities to be where they needed to be and my focus to remain on Christ, I DID need to distance myself from the hurtful relationship. Forgiveness is vital. So are boundaries.

I can tell that God is speaking truth into your heart and I am sure he will lead you where you need to be. Thank you so much for sharing!