Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Come to me all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens.

I heard a song this morning with a line of lyric that said "don't fight these arms that hold you." Unfortunately, that is many times my gut reaction. To put up a wall of protection, hold myself together, and block out and keep away any and all forms of any attempt to comfort me. I'm stubborn. Jesus is our source of comfort, but he is a gentleman, we must allow his love, comfort, and peace to reach us.

I heard two days ago that a dear friend of mine and her family made the tough decision to allow Hospice to take over the care of her grandmother. She has always been close with her grammy and taken wonderful care of her. Visiting her often and taking her to necessary appointments. The last several months have been difficult for her to watch as the grandma she loves and knows has disappeared into a world of dementia. At times we, her friends, got her through because we would laugh with her at the parts of the story that were funny. Because with dementia, although it is painful to watch, it most certainly can be funny too, the stories and the things her mind manages to make her believe. If, you allow yourself some relief and see the lighter side of things, which we tried to do for Molly. There is little I can do to bring her comfort. All I can do is think of her often, of her family, and pray peace, strength, and comfort over them as they sit and wait. Wait for the inevitable.

I was then informed this morning that my brother-in-law lost his father last night. This is one of the strongest men I've ever met, coming back from the brink of death more times than I can count. Yet, there is more. My husband's parents divorced when he was young and after we started to have children of our own his mother met and married David. David's mother is a youthful, vivacious, and energetic woman, full of life. She is in her late 70's but you would never know it. She is vigorous and strong, dances several nights a week with the man she is committed to, since she has lost two husbands, and shows no sign of aging. She was informed this week that she has a lump on her kidney that the doctors think is cancer. She is scheduled for surgery on November 5th to remove the lump. If they discover the lump is cancerous they will later remove her kidney. But, I serve a God of miracles! There is no way this fierce woman is going to lay down and just let anything be taken from her. I'm believing for that lump to cease to exist in Jesus precious name and disappear! She is my children's 'GG' (great-grandma).

I was created as a person who empathises easily with others, with their trials, their joy, and their pain. This is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because the words flow easily when I send a note or card meant to comfort, encourage, or congratulate. Some how God always fills my spirit with exactly what that person needs. A curse because when it is pain they are facing, I feel it too.

The song this morning reminded me though that we have a comforter we can turn to. We are not meant to carry the burden alone. Not do we only have friends and family who bring kind words and comfort but we have Him.

Matthew 11:28-30 NIV
Then Jesus said, "come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."

That is as much for me today as it is for those I love that are suffering. So I won't fit about and refuse to be loved. I surrender my burdens and lay them at the foot of the cross. Jesus will bear the weight and count my tears, and yours, and though it will be tough to refuse to feel the sting, I will walk in peace. I won't allow the people I love to fit about either and suffer alone. I will open my heart and my arms and embrace them and surround them with love and prayer. I pray that each person who is suffering today have a heart that is open, open to receive from Jesus. Receive his peace, his joy, his strength. Fill them Jesus, let them know your presence.

1 drops of sunshine:

Anonymous said...

My grandmother had Alzheimers. I grew up afraid of her and never really feeling like I "loved" her because she was very cold and mean. She had always treated my grandpa (my best friend) like crap and never hugged or showed any sign of compassion....besides the wonderful food she would make us, which we knew later was how she knew how to show love. Anyways, she had Alzheimers and to me it was a blessing in disguise. She progressively went backwards in her life and I got to see the woman that used to be. The woman that my grandpa fell in love with, the nurse in the army who endured assisting with hundreds and hundreds of amputations from the war. I would go to her apartment and she would ask how to get to the mess hall. She told stories of her and her sister having good times on Walled Lake. She loved the women who cared for her at the nursing home who corn rowed her hair (which she would've had a fit with with a clear mind!!!).
I saw a completely different woman in 5 years than I saw in the 25 leading up to that point. I am very thankful that I got to see that woman before she passed and went to the grave with me thinking she was not a good person.